Analyze and Optimize the Welding Parameters of the Process by Pulsed Tubular Wire (FCAW - Flux Cored Arc Welding) Based on the Geometry of the Weld Beads Resulting from each Test
Abstract: This study aimed to analyze and optimize deposition welding parameters using a pulsed tubular wire process (FCAW - Flux Cored Arc Welding), where the influence variables adopted were the average current, the pulsation frequency, the welding speed and the contact-tip-workpiece distance, with each variable being tested at three different levels. The geometric characteristics evaluated, that is, the response variables, are width, reinforcement, penetration, reinforcement area, penetration area and dilution. The geometric characteristics evaluated, that is, the response variables, are the width, the reinforcement, the penetration, the reinforcement area, the penetration area, the contact-tip-workpiece distance and the dilution. In order to achieve the proposed objective, statistical techniques were used as analysis tools, and, in the first phase, the robust design method (Taguchi) was used to establish which combinations of parameters would be performed in each test, providing us with an L9 matrix. In a second phase, analysis of variance tables (ANOVA) were constructed to select the most significant parameters.
- Kumar D and Bhingole PP. "CFD Based Analysis of Combined Effect of Cavitation and Silt Erosion on Kaplan Turbine", Materials Today: Proceedings, 2015; 2(4-5): 2314-2322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2015.07.276
- Shi Y, Zheng Z, Huang J. "Sensitivity model for prediction of bead geometry in underwater wet flux cored arc welding", Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc. of China, 2013; 23: 1977-1984. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1003-6326(13)62686-2
- Prabhu R, Alwarsamy T. "Study and investigations on process parameters for bead geometry during cladding by pulsed MIG welding process" 2014, International Review of Mechanical Engineering, 8(4): 722-729.
- Ghazali FA, Manurung YHP, Mohamed Mohamed A, Alias SK, Abdullah S. "Effect of process parameters on the mechanical properties and failure behavior of spot welded low carbon steel", Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Sciences (JMES), 2015; 8: 1489-1497. https://doi.org/10.15282/jmes.8.2015.23.0145
- Prasad KS, Rao CS, Rao DN. "Study on factors effecting weld pool geometry of pulsed current micro plasma arc welded AISI 304L austenitic stainless steel sheets using statistical approach", Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering, 2012; 11(8): 790-799. https://doi.org/10.4236/jmmce.2012.118068
- Achebo J, Salisu S. "Reduction of undercuts in fillet welded joints using Taguchi Optimization Method", Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering, 2015; 10:171-179. https://doi.org/10.4236/jmmce.2015.33020
- Kumar CL, Vanaja T, Murti KGK, Prasad VSH. "Optimization of MIG welding process parameters for improving welding strength of steel", International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), 2017; 50(1): 25-33. https://doi.org/10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V50P205
- Moreno JRS, Pinto HC and Ávila JA. "Characterization of welding parameters and microstructure in a coating made with a tubular electrode of SAE EC410NiMo on a SAE 1020 steel substrate by FCAW process", 2019, Conference: 21st International Conference Materials, Methods & Technologies, Burgas - Bulgary.
- Oliveira ALM, Costa JD, DE Sousa MB, Alves JJN, Campos ARN, Santana RAC, et al., "Studies on electrodeposition and characterization of the Ni-W-Fe alloys coatings", J. Alloys Compd., 2015; 619: 697-703. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2014.09.087
- Montgomery DC. "Design and analysis of experiments"10th edition John Wiley ISBN: 978-1-119-49244-3; 2019.
- Sivaraman K, Kulkarni DV, DE A. "Pulsed current gas metal arc welding of P91 steels using metal cored wires" Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2016; 229: 826-833. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2015.11.007
- Streib FE and Dehmer M. "Understanding Statistical Hypothesis Testing:The Logic of Statistical Inference"; Mach. Learn. Knowl. Extr. 1: 945-961; 2019. https://doi.org/10.3390/make1030054
- Moreno JRS, Pinto HC, Correa CA, Mastelari N, Marin LG, Silva E, Ávila JA. "Cladding welding of CA6M with pulsed FCAW and results analysis through the L9 TAGUCHI and ANOVA", International Journal of Advanced Engineering Research and Science (IJAERS), 2018; 5(5): 150-157. https://doi.org/10.22161/ijaers.5.5.20
- Kumar V. "Optimization of Weld Bead Width in Tungsten Inert Gas Welding of Austenitic Stainless Steel Alloy", American Journal Mechanical Engineering, 2014; 2(2): 50-53. https://doi.org/10.12691/ajme-2-2-4
- Qasim A, Nisar S, Shah A, Khalid MS and Sheikh MA. "Optimization of process parameters for machining of AISI-1045 steel using Taguchi design and ANOVA" Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 2015; 59: 36-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.simpat.2015.08.004
- Abbas AT, Hamza K, Aly MF and Al-Bahkali EA. "Multiobjective optimization of turning cutting parameters for J-steel material," Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 2016, Article ID 6429160, 8 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/6429160
- Kurtulmus M, Yukler AI, Bilici MK and Catalgol Z. "Effects of welding current and arc voltage on FCAW weld bead geometry", International Jounal of Research in Engineering and Technology, 2015; 4(9): 23-28. available @ http://www.ijret.org. https://doi.org/10.15623/ijret.2015.0409004
- Sindhu D and Ruban M. "The Study on Effect of Process Parameters on Weld Deposits in Pulsed Gas Metal Arc Welding", International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology -IJIRSET, 2016; 5(4): 6247-6256
- Joseph GB, Chaitanya PS, Kumar RV, Mageshwaran G and Jeevahan J. "Effect of Cladding Process Parameters for Mild Steel Surface Treatment" International Journal of Vehicle Structures & Systems, 2019; 11(4): 372-375. https://doi.org/10.4273/ijvss.11.4.06
- Paiva EJ, Rodrigues LO, Costa SC, Paiva AP, Balestrassi PP. "FCAW Welding Process Optimization Using the Multivariate Mean Square Error" Soldagem & Inspeção, 2010; 15(1): 031-040. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0104-92242010000100005
- Sreeraj P, Kannan T, Subhasis M. "Prediction and optimization of stainless steel cladding deposited by GMAW process using response surface methodology, ANN and PSO", International Journal of Engineering and Science, 2013; 3(5): 30-41; http://www.researchinventy.com/papers/v3i5/D03503041.pdf
- Velazquez K, Estrada G and Gonzalez A. "Statistical Analysis for Quality Welding Process: An Aerospace Industry Case Study" Journal of Applied Sciences, 2014; 14: 2285-2291. https://doi.org/10.3923/jas.2014.2285.2291