Study of a Cutting Fluid Application System Adaptation on a Bench Milling Machine for an Academic Laboratory Environment
Abstract: Cutting fluid is a resource that can benefit machining, improving the service life, surface, and dimensional qualities of cutting tools. For the operation of a basic cutting fluid application system, it is necessary to consider the components that store, filter, and induce the flow of the cutting fluid. Some essential components are the reservoir, the filter, and the pump. Aiming to provide better machining conditions, this study presented the proposal for designing and manufacturing a cutting fluid application system for an academic laboratory's bench drill/milling machine. The experimental research characterized the study methodology, in which the system was built with the least possible resources. The main result showed that the system achieved the proposed objective. For pump selection, a system of equations was developed in Microsoft Excel software, which indicated a pressure variation in the flow system of approximately 15 kPa. After the three-dimensional modeling, a script for the manufacture and assembly of the system components was prepared, involving the processes of forming, machining and welding. Adaptations were made to the machine tool, such as the insertion of a limit switch that reduced the longitudinal displacement of the work table by 150 mm. An electronic command system was inserted to control the cutting fluid flow. In the testing phase, positive aspects were observed (reservoir position, absence of leaks, cutting fluid flow, among others) and negative aspects (cutting fluid return paths). Some further improvements proved possible, especially on a machine not designed to have a cutting fluid system.
- França PHP, Barbosa LMQ, Fernandes GHN, da Silva LRR, Machado ÁR, Martins PS, et al. Thermal analysis of a proposed internally cooled machining tool system. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2022. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-022-10602-8
- de Lima Menezes S, Otto Cunha Lima R. Estudo sobre a reciclagem de fluidos de corte aplicados no processo de torneamento por um filtro confeccionado com materiais de fácil acesso 2021:13-24. https://doi.org/10.21708/issn27635325.v3n1.a9962.2021
- Wu X, Li C, Zhou Z, Nie X, Chen Y, Zhang Y, et al. Circulating purification;. Additive;. Base oil;. Minimum quantity lubrication. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2021; 117: 2565-600. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-021-07854-1
- Singh J, Gill SS, Dogra M, Singh R. A review on cutting fluids used in machining processes. Engineering Research Express 2021; 3. https://doi.org/10.1088/2631-8695/abeca0
- Caroline Callegaro Francisco Ignácio Giocondo Cesar C, Caroline Callegaro C, Ignácio Giocondo CESAR F. Manuseio DE Fluidos de Cortes: da Utilização ao Descarte 1. n.d.
- Holmes PM. Factors affecting the selection of cutting fluids. Industrial Lubrication and Tribology 1971; 23: 47-55. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb052964
- Debnath S, Reddy MM, Yi QS. Environmental friendly cutting fluids and cooling techniques in machining: a review. J Clean Prod 2014; 83: 33-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2014.07.071
- El Baradie MA. Materials Processing Technology Cutting Fluids: Part II. Recycling and Clean Machining. vol. 56. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-0136(95)01893-X
- Sen B, Mia M, Krolczyk GM, Mandal UK, Mondal SP. Eco-friendly cutting fluids in minimum quantity lubrication assisted machining: a review on the perception of sustainable manufacturing. International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing-Green Technology 2019: 1-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40684-019-00158-6
- Ravi S, Gurusamy P, Mohanavel V. A review and assessment of effect of cutting fluids. Mater Today Proc, vol. 37, Elsevier Ltd; 2020; p. 220-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2020.05.054
- Waste Reduction Center I. Cutting Fluid Management: Small Machining Operations. 2003.
- Okokpujie IP, Sinebe JE, Amiebenomo SO, Tartibu LK, Adeoye AOM. Development of a high-pressure delivery lubrication system for sustainable machining operations. Mater Today Proc 2022; 62: 4533-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2022.05.007
- Hu K, Phonepasith M. Development of automatic control system for cutting fluid filtration. IOP Conf Ser Earth Environ Sci, vol. 692, IOP Publishing Ltd; 2021. https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/692/3/032088
- Shen ZY, Chen CY, Lee MT. Recovery of cutting fluids and silicon carbide from slurry waste. J Hazard Mater 2019; 362: 115-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2018.09.014
- Karimi A. Session 5-1 Application of Excel in Solving Heat Exchanger Problems. 2008.
- Outram JG, Couperthwaite SJ, Martens W, Millar GJ. Application of non-linear regression analysis and statistical testing to equilibrium isotherms: Building an Excel template and interpretation. Sep Purif Technol 2021; 258. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2020.118005
- Çengel YA, Cimbala JM. Mecânica DOS Fluidos. 1st ed. São Paulo: McGraw Hill-Artmed; 2007.
- Rahman RA, Suwandi A, Nurtanto M. Experimental investigation on the effect of thermophysical properties of a heat transfer fluid on pumping performance for a convective heat transfer system. Journal of Thermal Engineering 2021; 7: 1628-39. https://doi.org/10.18186/thermal.1025910
- Dong J, Shi J, Liu C, Yu T. Research of Pneumatic Polishing Force Control System Based on High Speed On/off with PWM Controlling. Robot Comput Integr Manuf 2021; 70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rcim.2021.102133
- Němec P, Stodola P. Optimization of the multi-facility location problem using widely available office software. Algorithms 2021; 14. https://doi.org/10.3390/a14040106
- Suwannahong K, Wongcharee S, Kreetachart T, Sirilamduan C, Rioyo J, Wongphat A. Evaluation of the microsoft excel solver spreadsheet-based program for nonlinear expressions of adsorption isotherm models onto magnetic nanosorbent. Applied Sciences (Switzerland) 2021; 11. https://doi.org/10.3390/app11167432
- Dario Dantas O, Medrado da Silva E, Gustavo Barioni L, Antônio Assfalk de Oliveira M, Enoch Furquim Werneck Lima J. Comparação Dos Métodos GRG2 (Solver Do Excel) E Downhill Simplex Para a Parametrização DA Função Beta. n.d.